Saturday 18 July 2020

Akira Otomo McFarlane Toys
























These McFarlane toys might be old but I'm still excited to show you guys these merchandises belonging to an evergreen anime movie. I first watched "Akira" when I was in tertiary education. If I remember correctly, I chanced upon the VHS at the school library and watched the film on the player available there. It sure changed my perceptions of anime since then. 

I have been exposed to anime like Macross and Gatchaman before but nothing come close to the "Akira" in terms of violence. It was an eye-opener for me in a shocking way, in a good way I supposed. I truly enjoyed the watching the film though I have not re-watch it since then and that some might already been blurry. 

Nonetheless, I remembered the pace was fast and there were a lot of actions. The story telling was dynamic and of course the design of the Otomo bike was way ahead of time. I wasn't so much of an "Akira" fan back then but started to appreciated more as time passes. 

Anyway, I'm glad to get these 2001 released toys in a bundle deal for a reasonable price. Cool that the set has both Kaneda standing and also seated on his Otomo bike. The other figure that was included is Tetsuo who looks kind of scary after he was subjected to government experiments which gives him with telekinetic powers.  

The catch is definitely Kaneda and his Otomo bike.  The bike still looks awesome despite the yellowing visor. The figurines are now sticky on the surface but I won't mind giving them showers from time to time. Lolz... 

I love the pill design of Kaneda's jacket and the prints on Otomo bike. I even noticed an insignia of "Spawn" on the bike which pay tributes to McFarlane Spawn comic since McFarlane head-speared "Spawn" figurines during the early 2000s.  

4 comments:

chrismandesign said...

Man, what a nice acquisition!... I still remember these figures, unfortunately when they were announced by McFarlane I wasn’t even into collecting... Later I wanted to grab specially Kaneda with his bike (that as far as I know was offered also by Bandai-Medicom, in a quite more expensive and bigger version with diecast parts or even there was a pair of gashapon sets), but by the time I tried to find them, they were already expensive and today, well, forget it!... McFarlane has been offering a great assortment of figures from different franchises and nowadays they are classics, sought after because of their excellent level of detail and realistic paint jobs... While these products never have been cheap, they offer great value for money... By the way, the first time I watched Akira I was shocked too, but it was one of those productions that introduced me to anime so I still find it very interesting!...

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

>> Chrismandesign
Yes! Bro, I’m as excited as you are and I’m glad to get this set. Always like the classic mecha anime and Akira is simply epic.. Akira toys are few and very highly sought after. That’s why I also waited for the right price...

deSMOnd said...

Bro, I love this Akira toy set. Now it's hard to find someone selling these.

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

Guess I’m lucky to find it on Carousell no long along.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...